When shopping for adjustable wrenches, you will realize that there is a wide range of products on the market. Adjustable wrenches vary in type, size, and primary usage.
They can be broadly categorized as pipe wrenches, crescent wrenches, plumber wrenches, multi-angle pipe wrenches, Swedish wrenches, self-adjusting pipe wrenches, monkey wrenches, basin wrenches, strap wrenches, and chain wrenches, among others.
Their sizes vary in the length of the handle and adjustment range. These wrenches also vary with the material used to make them and other features such as adjusting mechanism, handle design, and whether the jaw is toothed or not. While some are multipurpose, others are designed for specific use.
Below is a review of the 10 best adjustable wrenches in the various categories.
Our Top 10 Picks for the Best Adjustable Wrenches
1. Best Adjustable Wrench: Olympia Tools Adjustable Wrench
This crescent wrench by Olympia Tool is designed to provide smooth operation while also being long-lasting. It can be used for both major and minor fixes, including plumbing, furniture assembly, vehicle maintenance, and more. It is a suitable tool for a wide range of bolt and nut fasteners.
The Olympia Tools adjustable wrench is made of hardened and tempered drop forged alloy steel. It delivers professional-grade quality. The wrench is available in various handle sizes, including 4-inch, 6-inch, 8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch, 15-inch, 18-inch, and 24-inch.
- Sturdy build
- Wide range of application
- Easy to use
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Wide jaw adjustment range
- Some people find it too large
2. Best Adjustable Wrench Set: WORKPRO 4-Piece Adjustable Wrench Set
This WORKPRO 4-Piece Adjustable Wrench Set consists of the following:
- 6-inch crescent wrench
- 8-inch crescent wrench
- 10-inch crescent wrench
- 12-inch crescent wrench
The wrenches are forged from carbon steel and are chrome plated to enhance rust resistance and durability. They are designed with rugged I-beam construction and feature a strong 4-sided jaw design. Their design includes a smooth-going scroll wheel to prompt jaw adjustment. The range of jaw adjustment is as follows:
- 6-inch crescent wrench â€“ 1-5/6â€
- 8-inch crescent wrench â€“ 1-1/8â€
- 10-inch crescent wrench â€“ 1-15/16â€
- 12-inch crescent wrench â€“ 1 â€“ 3/4 â€œ
- Smooth operation
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Affordable price point
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Easy jaw width adjustments with smooth scroll wheel
- Large wrench may be difficult to use due to the size
- May require a lot of readjustments while they are in use
3. Best Adjustable Wrench for Plumbing: DURATECH Plumbing Wrench
The DURATECH Plumbing Wrench is designed to optimize efficiency and ergonomics. It is suitable for use with different types of nuts. It has a wide jaw adjustment that is suitable even for large fasteners and objects. It can be used on gas lines, motors, and extension valves.
It features a cast iron body and an 8-inch slim profile wrench head, making it easier to reach those harder-to-reach and tighter areas. It also has a non-stick knurled adjustment nut.
This DURATECH plumbing wrench is drop-forged and heat-treated for increased hardness and toughness. It has a black oxide finish that enhances rust resistance and durability. The handle has a textured rubber finish for a non-slip grip, comfort, and control when using the wrench.
The jaw is laser marked with a high precision scale in both SAE and metric dimensions. The head of the wrench is mirror polished, which makes the scaleâ€™s surface clear and easy to read. The jaw is super thin and long for easy access to tight spaces.
- Wide range of applications
- Can be used in tight areas
- SAE/Metric calibrated scale
- Ergonomic handle
- Wide jaw adjustment
- Lack of quality control with some units
- May not grab some aluminum cylinders unless force is applied
4. Best Monkey Wrench:Â Crescent 11â€ Automotive Wrench C711
This monkey wrench is fairly priced, has a high-quality build, and is available in various sizes (9-inch, 11-inch, 15-inch, and 18-inch handle length).
It is forged from heat-treated alloy steel for durability and toughness. The steel material also offers excellent shock absorption, which prevents breakage in case it falls or bangs against other objects. It is chrome plated to enhance its rust and corrosion resistance. The chrome finish also makes it easy to clean.
This is a heavy-duty wrench with a large capacity. It has a slim profile head design that makes it suitable for tight areas. Its jaw opens up to three inches, and the strong I-beam handle construction offers adequate torque.
- Durable build
- Well-thought-out design to optimize efficiency
- Suitable for heavy-duty work
- Wide jaw opening
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Not made in the US
- Some report that the jaws do not always hold position when the wrench is in use
This WideAzz adjustable wrench is definitely one you want to have in your toolbox. It features an extra-wide 1 and Â½ inch opening. The longer the jaws, the better the grip, while thinner jaws allow greater access to tighter areas. It has a four-thread knurl and non-protruding jaws that allow much greater capacity.
This adjustable wrench is also constructed with chrome vanadium steel, and the code blue grips are designed for durability and comfort.
- Provides you with an improved grip
- Minimal head width of this wrench improves performance in confined areas
- Supports larger nuts and bolts
- Durable and comfortable to handle
- While the handle is comfortable, it doesn’t always offer a strong grip
This Irwin Vise Grip adjustable wrench is made from durable chrome vanadium construction. The ProTouch grips provide extra comfort while reducing hand fatigue as you work. It uses both the imperial and metric scales and has a wide capacity.
This adjustable wrench feels great in your hands and doesn’t bind up when adjusted. All adjustments you make are smooth. It opens up to around 1 and 1/8 inches. While this is a good size, it may not suit larger plumbing connections. It is suitable for more general tasks around the home or garage, like assembling furniture or attaching wheels to a bike.
- Very affordably priced
- Comfortable handle and solid build quality
- Uses English and metric scales
- Has a hang hole on the tool for easy wall storage
- Not suitable for larger tasks
- Handle is thick and may not fit in certain tool organizers
The Knipex Tools comfort grip adjustable wrench has an elegant and unique design. It features two handles that can be used to grab the nut instead of cradling it. This means this adjustable wrench works great on stubborn nuts and helps reduce and even eliminate slipping.
The lower jaw of this adjustable wrench moves parallel to its upper jaw. This design helps reduce the chance of slippage. The build quality is also excellent and is made to be durable and long-lasting.
- Grips surfaces with its specially hardened teeth
- Lever transmission greater than 10-1 allows for stronger gripping power
- Handle offers an ergonomic and comfortable grip
- Great for gripping, holding, pressing, and bending
- Can work on plated fittings without causing any damage
- On the more expensive side
- Can sometimes be difficult to adjustÂ
The Tekton adjustable wrench is drop forged and heat treated with carbon steel construction. It features a corrosion-resistant satin chrome-plated finish. It has a precision machined slide jaw and worm gear, allowing for a more precise fastener fit and smoother adjustments.
This tool meets and exceeds ANSI standards. It has a Â¾ inch jaw capacity and a quick-fit jaw opening guide with permanent laser etched size markings. The size markings are shown in 1/16-inch and 1mm increments.
The Tekton adjustable wrench has been designed to be versatile and can loosen and tighten fasteners of varying sizes without you having to stop to grab other tools as you work.
- Made with rust-resistant chrome-plated carbon steel for durability and longevity
- You can easily loosen and tighten with its precision machined gear
- Etched scale allows you to work faster
- The handle is not designed to be non-slip
- The smaller jaw opening isn’t as large as other adjustable wrench options
The Bahco wrench features extra-wide opening jaws, has a shorter handle, and allows for the best access possible when working in tighter and harder-to-reach areas. The slim head design of the Bahco wrench has tapered jaws that combine easy accessibility with extra turning strength
Bahco has been making adjustable wrenches for 130 years, so you can be assured of the quality you will receive when you choose a Bahco wrench to include in your toolkit. Its true ergonomic design includes a thermoplastic handle and provides you with a larger width grip.
This adjustable wrench can be used for various applications, including tasks completed by plumbers, electricians, and maintenance workers.
- High-quality construction from a reliable and trusted brand
- Extra-wide opening jaws and shorter handle for more accessibility
- True ergonomic design
- Slim head and tapered jaws allow for extra turning strength
- On the more expensive side
- Not chrome-plated or rust-resistant
The Crescent adjustable wrench may be last on our list, but it certainly deserves a spot on the list of the top 10 best adjustable wrench options on the market today. This Crescent wrench is considered the original adjustable wrench. It has a laser-etched scale in SAE Standard and Metric sizes, allowing quick and easy identification.
The larger knurl on the Cresent adjustable wrench allows for easier adjustments and ensures a tight fit. The hex jaw design effectively reduces any slippage and grips fasteners tightly.
It has a large capacity of 1-5/16-inch, 34mm wrench jaws and fits a wide range of fastener sizes. Additionally, the Crescent adjustable wrench is heat-treated with forged alloy steel for toughness and durability.
- Easy and quick adjustments because of the wider knurl
- Proportioned dimensions help to optimize strength and minimize weight
- Wider handle means you can apply more torque when faced with difficult fasteners
- Not made in the US
- Some feel that the wrench is too heavy and too thick to work with on some tasks
When determining which adjustable wrench to buy, first establish the type of tasks you will be using it for. Check out the specifications of the various products to identify the one that would be best suited for use. Buy one that is highly rated, such as those reviewed above.