Whether you own a car or run an auto shop, changing tires is inevitable. A tire is an essential component of a vehicle and there are so many types of tools for changing tires.
In this guide, my focus will be on the best manual tire changer. If you can find the ideal, then you will save money, by easily changing tires from the comfort of your home.
The manual tire changer is usually easy to use and you do not need to be an expert in doing this. With the various models on the market, you may not know which one to buy.
In this article, I will focus on top manual tire changers in 2020. I have considered the devices that are easy to use and are comprehensive. In these reviews, you will find that the models I have reviewed make work easier and will give you precise results.
Stay with me and learn about the best manual changers that you should buy and some other essential tips and tricks.
In hurry! Then here is our top 3 manual tire changer for you.
- Best Overall – STKUSA Aluminum Manual Tire Changer
- Best Value – Goplus Manual Tire Changer
- Honorable Mention – Mophorn Manual Portable Tire Changer
Best Manual Tire Changer
Manual tire changers are many, but there are those that stand out from the rest. Here are my top picks, with reviews:
1. Best Manual Tire Changer 2021 – Goplus Manual Tire Changer
If you have tires from 17.5 inches to 24 inches, buy this manual tire changer to have. The fact that it is manually operated means that it will save energy. This comes as a 3-piece tool and as such, you can easily carry it in the trunk of your car. It constructed with carbon steel, which is drop-forged and has a powder-coated and glossy finish.
This will be a great set to have as it will make your life easier and it is made to last. This will work with most bias ply and radial tires and as such, it is best suited for truck and bus tires. It is rust-resistant and comes with versatile features. The bead will be protected by the nylon rollers on this tool and this prevents damage to your tires.
- Made of carbon steel, which is drop-forged, hence it is strong and durable
- Features effective nylon rollers that will protect the bead of your tires
- Works on 17.5 inches to 24 inch tires
- Demounts tires in a matter of seconds
- Can be used for most bias ply and radial tires
2. Top Rated Manual Tire Changer 2021 – STKUSA Aluminum Manual Tire Changer
Are you searching for the right tire changer for large tires? Then this is a great option to consider. This is a tire mount and demount tool set, which simple, but quite effective. All you need is to ensure that you have a sturdy base when carrying out the operation. This is among the tools that is assured to give you exceptional performance when changing tires.
This is a tool kit that is specially designed for large tires as you can use it with tires from 17.5 inches to 24.5 inches. With the solid steel and aluminum construction, you can rest assured that it is ranked among strongest and most durable tools. There is truck beat protection feature and will work on bias ply radial as well as super single tires.
- Works on super single tires to a maximum of 315
- You can use this to demount tires from 17 ½ to 24 ½ inches
- Solid steel and aluminum construction
- Can be used on most bias ply and radial tires
- Protect the truck bid of tubeless tires
3. Best Portable Mini Tire Changer – Northern Industrial Portable Mini Tire Changer
If you need a mini tire changer, then go for the Northern Industrial Portable Mini Tire Changer as it has all that you would need in a manual tire changer. The good news is that it is quite versatile as it works for all smaller tires. The compact size and light weight makes it convenient to use it anywhere that you may prefer. It has an effective handle, which makes it easier to change tires.
With this model, you can work on tires with 50MM to 295MM center holes. Any tires with rims of 4 inches to 12 inches can be changed using this compact tire changer. While it is may be smaller in size, it is strong enough to break the toughest beads so as to mount or demount the tires.
- A compact tire changer, which is light and portable
- Easily breaks beads to mount and demount tires easily
- Quite gentle on aluminum rims
- Comes with 2 bead breakers
- Will accept center hole from size 50mm to 295mm
First on my list is the PowerLift model, which is a reputable brands out there. It is a durable manual changer and quite effective in changing tires. It has rugged steel parts and this is what guarantees you durability. With this tool, it is much easier to change tires, conveniently, like a pro.
This model has the capacity to handle tires from 8 inches. It is a portable and lightweight model, which means that you can carry it around anywhere. The tire changer is quite stable as it has a wide base that gives you excellent support. Whether you have tire shop or want to change tires from the comfort of your home, this manual tire changer is ideal to invest in.
- It has a solid base of 15-3/8 by 18 ½ inches
- It has a solid construction, made of rugged steel
- Lightweight, making it portable
- Can handle 8-inch tires and above
This Rabaconda gives you an easier and quicker way to change your motorcycle tires. It has been tested by more than 80 top riders and factory teams across the planet and holds the world record for helping you change tires in as fast as 44 seconds.
It comes with an ergonomic working height which eliminates those backaches or having to work on your knees, making your work easier. Its feet feature rubber padding for excellent grip on just any surface, making your work even easier.
This tire changer is ideal for changing all motorcycle tires whose diameter ranges from 16 to 21 inches. The rigid and durable construction enables it to hold up to daily use and last longer than most of the competition.
Because of its compact design and easy assembly, this is a highly portable tire changer that you can take with you to any place. The included hard-wearing Cordura 1000D carry bag promotes easy, convenient carry.
- Ideal for tire sizes: 16 to 21 inches
- Rigid, durable construction
- Ergonomic working height (20-inch)
- Comes with tire lever tray for convenient storage
- Lightweight and compact; highly portable
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects
Last, but not least is the Toolsempire Multi Manual tire spreader. This is ideal for motorcycles, trailers and light trucks. For all tires with rim sizes of 4 inches to 16.5 inches this would be the best tire changer and tire spreader. It is portable and you can easily carry it around and use it anywhere. This is designed to make the tire changing process fast, easy and safer.
It has heavy duty iron that makes it durable and strong to handle different tasks. It fits most tires of cars and light trucks, as well as motorbikes. The paint used on this tool is of high quality and makes it rust-proof and resistant to corrosion. It cleans easily and features a convenient design, which makes it easy to assemble.
- Versatile as it can used on tires from 4 to 16.5 inches
- Durable, as it is constructed with iron and is quite stable
- Quality paint makes the tire changer corrosion and resistant
- Easy to assemble and use
The Goplus Bike tire changer is the best motorcycle tire changer and has been made to serve this purpose. You can use it for all tires that are more than 16 inches, in diameter. When you need to use it, ensure that you have it on a solid and even surface so as to get the best results. It comes with long handle giving you an excellent breaking force.
With the tool, you will change tires fast and easy. It is a portable model as it only weighs only 16.4 pounds. You can use it anywhere, including off-road areas as it is strong. The tire changer is constructed of superior iron will give you a long service life. Its compact design makes it easier to store and carry it.
- Easy to change tires
- Not take up much space as it has a compact size
- lightweight and portable
- Works on tires from 16 inches and above
This is a double deal as it comes as a combo package. When you choose to buy this manual tire changer, you will also get a wheel balancer. This can be convenient for personal use as well as for those with a wheel service shop. This a great deal and will save you hundreds of dollars rather than having to buy a tire changer and wheel balancer separately. The tire changer can be used on rims of up to 26 inches.
This is a versatile tool as it is also loaded with a Jet Blast Inflation System and an effective bead breaker system. There is a metal and plastic demount head, tire iron, covers for wheel clamp as well as a lube brush and bucket. The wheel balancer has a foot pedal that sets your hands free to handle the tire.
- 2 in 1 (wheel balancer and tire changer)
- There is a foot pedal on the wheel balancer, which will hold the wheel in place
- Works on rims of max diameter of 26 inches
- It will handle tires with a maximum diameter of 43 inches
This portable manual tire spreader is useful and quite efficient. There is an advantage in that it comes with a stand that is adjustable. The tire spreader will be useful for those with light trucks and cars. When repairing tires,use this tool to fix the spreading.
The essence of this tool is to make the tire fixing process fast and easy. It has quite a wide platform, which will give you enough space, which is quite stable. There are two main components of the tool; it has a rack and a body, which can actually be used independently. It offers great convenience in that you will adjust the tool to fit the desired tire width.That’s why this is the best manual tire changer for you.
- Can accommodate 13.78 inches of tire width
- There is a wide and stable work surface, which can be adjusted in different angles
- The platform can swivel to 360 degrees
- This tire spreader can be used on all tires for light trucks and vehicles
If you’re looking for a tire changer that works with motorcycle tires with a diameter of 4 to 16.5 inch, this Prolinemax is a great option. This particular model comes at an affordable price and is suitable for at-home use and will let you change a variety of motorcycle wheels easily.
It features a rugged and durable construction which enables it to take in any form of beating and serve you for years to come.
Using it to work on your motorcycle tires is pretty easy. The bead breaker works exemplary well and the rims clamp down easily for easy swapping. Once you get your hang on this tire changer, you’ll be doing your tire swaps in a matter of 5 minutes.
- Ideal for 4- 16.5” diameter tires
- Fully adjustable sliding jaw clamps
- Dimensions: 39″W x28″D x 34″H
- Bead breaker works in seconds
- 2 center posts make it suitable for hub center and bearing center wheels
Best Manual Tire Changer Buying Guide
When you need to buyer a manual tire changer, there are a couple of things that you need to look out for. This is a critical decision, not to mention a huge investment that needs to be considered carefully.
In order to make an informed decision, there a number of things that you need to know before buying one. Here are some of the essential considerations:
Durability of Side Shovel
The side shovel is a critical part of your tire changer and it seems to do most of the work. You need to find one that is of a solid construction so as to be sure that it will serve you for a long tie. The heft and size are some of the things that can tell if it is durable.
Weight of the Tire Changer
The weight comes into play in two main aspects. One is if you need to move around with it, you want to find a portable one. The other is that heavier tire changers tend to be of excellent quality.
Breadth of the Tool
If you want to enjoy versatility, check the breadth of the tire changer. Which types of tires can it be used for and what sizes. There are models that can be adjusted to fit a desired breadth.
You do not want to end up with a tire changer that damages your wheels and tires. As such, always go for a brand that has taken wheel protection into serious consideration. If you are running a tire shop, this is important as you do not want to damage your client’s tires.
There are some components that you need to pay attention to and ensure that they are of high quality. A good tire change needs to have quality lubricators, regulators and filters. This will extend the useful life of the tire changer.
Will you get support and assistance from the manufacturer? There are those will train and provide instruction manuals that you can use. You will need to be sure that you can support when you need to make adjustments in the tire changer.
Knowledge of Manufacturer
Do not be too quick to make a purchasing decision. Take the time to study the manufacturer and do some background search to see if they are knowledgeable. This is the only assurance that you can use to tell that you are getting the right product, based on the knowledge of the manufacturer.
How To Use A Manual Tire Changer?
With a manual tire changer, you will be able to change a tire with your bare hands. This is a tool that used manual energy and is an affordable options that you will come across on the market.
If you have just bought your manual tire changer, here is a simple guide on how you can use it:
- Start by deflating the tire completely. This is done by pressing the valve stem so as to open it.
- Place your tire on a triangular wedge, which is lined up such that it hits the exact edge as that of the rim and the tire.
- Next, place the drop-down wedge in the space between the rim and tire.
- Insert your pry bar on the side slot of the tire changer and apply some force to push it downwards so as to pry the tire from its rim.
- Rotate the tire to 180 degrees and repeat the steps 2 and 3
- Turn the tire over and repeat steps 2 to 4 on the other side.
- Open the top part of the tire changer and place your tire in the stem. Place the lock washer on the tire and then screw the top part of your machine.
- Lubricate the edges of the tire and then insert the flat part of the pry bar in the space that is between the rim and tire. Rotate the bar clockwise all around the tire so as to remove its edge from the wheel rim.
- Flip over the tire and repeat step 8 so as to have the tire completely detached from its rim.
- Lubricate the edges of the new tire and place it on the rim.
- Insert the pry bar into the same pace between the rim and tire. Lift the bar and pry the edge of the tire over the rim. Repeat this all around the tire and have every part of that side, inside the rim.
- Turn the tire over and repeat step 11 until the whole tire is completely on a rim.
- Remove your tire from the tire changer and inflate it to capacity.
Please note that there are different types of manual tire changers. As such, it is recommended to study and comprehend your manufacturer’s instructions.
Some models may differ from the others and it is therefore imperative to follow the instructional manual.
Frequently Answers & Questions
Q: How will the manual tire changer hold the wheel in place?
In most cases, there will be a washer that will be screwed to the rim of the tire. This holds it in place allowing you to change the tire conveniently.
Q: Do I need a bead blaster, and how does it work?
A bead blaster is essential as it makes the work easier in changing tires. This works by delivering a large volume of air into the cavity of tires. This will help in aligning the beads in the assembly of the wheel.
Q: Which is the ideal tire changer to buy?
There are so many models that are on the market. All you need to do is ensure that you buy a high quality tire changer that serves your specific needs.
Q: Is the Assist Arm useful in a tire changer?
When you are handling stiff sidewall and low-profile tires, the Assist Arm will be useful. With an assist arm, the task of dismounting tough tires becomes easy and this will prevent damage to the tire.
Q: How will I learn how to use my manual tire changer?
Every model comes with an operational manual that is provided by the manufacturer. This should serve as your guide in using the tire changer.
As long as there are vehicles and machines that use tires, changing tires will never cease. There are many types of tire changers, but the manual is affordable and easy to use. This may not be ideal for auto shops that have high traffic volume, as it takes quite some effort.
However, it is ideal for home use and small tire shops. With this guide, you should be able to make the right decision and find the best manual tire changer.