There are several things that could go wrong with a home GE ice maker. There could not be enough water or the machine could freeze, causing it to get clogged with ice and stop making ice.
Sadness and disappointment! If your ice maker breaks, you may have to buy ice from a store, which can take a lot of time and money. Here’s a quick guide to finding out why your GE ice maker not working no green light and isn’t making ice and fixing it.
Different Solutions for the Ice Maker Problem
1. Check the Filter
Before you do anything else, check your filter. A clogged filter can make it hard or impossible for the ice maker to work. When the filter needs to be cleaned, water may not be able to flow through the ice maker.
Here’s how to clean your GE ice maker’s filter:
- Take off the ice machine’s bottom cover.
- Open the drain valve that is near the front of the ice maker.
- Take the filter off of the thing.
- After turning off the fridge, take out the water hose and run cold water through it to clear out any dirt.
- Turn on the faucet and see if the water is coming out faster than it was before.
- Change the filter and put the bottom cover back on.
2. Check for Ice Production:
If no ice is being made at all, there are a few other things to think about. In the past, the ice machine only had one switch. There are now, however, two:
- The knob on the outside of the ice machine controls the temperature.
- The knob inside the ice machine sets the temperature.
You should try out the different temperature knobs. This will make more ice come out of the machine.
3. Check for Water Flow:
Your GE refrigerator is still not making ice, right? Think about how the water moves. It’s possible that you don’t have enough water for the machine to work right. This could be caused by:
- Not enough water is getting to the machine.
- A water main that is broken or leaking.
If there’s no water coming out of your faucet, turning it on full force should show what’s wrong. So, you need to add water to the supply line before turning it off again.
If your GE refrigerator is still not making ice, move on to the next step.
4. Check the Drain Line:
If your ice maker isn’t making ice, it might be because the drain line is clogged. This could be caused by:
- Pipes that leak or parts that are dirty or old.
- Blockages in the drainage system
- Follow these steps to see if your drain pipes are clogged:
- Connect the water supply again.
- Take out the plug.
- Check to see that water is going down the drain.
- If the drain valve is clogged, you will need to take it off.
- Put the drain valve back together.
If you keep unplugging your fridge, the ice maker could get stuck and stop working. Try to unplug the machine and plug it back in.
5. Check the Drain Valve Location:
The amount of water that flows through the drain valve depends on where it is. If it’s at the bottom, water will quickly drain out, making it harder to make ice.
If, on the other hand, the valve is near the top, it will take more time for the water to drain. Your GE refrigerator will be able to make more ice because of this.
6. Check the Temperature Control:
Your GE refrigerator’s temperature control determines whether the water is warm or cold. If your ice maker doesn’t work, it might be because:
A wrong setting for the temperature control.
A broken or broken-down control for the temperature.
If the thermostat isn’t working right, try a different setting. Broken temperature control may need to be fixed by a professional.
7. Check the Drain Pump:
If you’ve checked all the other parts of your ice maker and it’s still not making ice, you may need to check the drain pump. For this to happen, you should:
- Turn on the water source.
- Check to see if water is going into the drain line.
- If you can see water going down the drain, there is no blockage in the drain line.
- How to take off the drain pump.
- Check to see if there are any foreign objects in the drain pump.
- Pull the drain pump’s plug.
If the ice maker keeps breaking down, move on to the next step.
8. Check the Water Level:
Your refrigerator’s water level should be between 3 and 4 inches deep. If it doesn’t, you may need to fill up the water tank. Open the door to your GE refrigerator’s water reservoir and make sure the water is at least three to four inches deep. If that doesn’t work, try adding more water.
9. Check for Ice in the Ice Tray:
If your GE refrigerator isn’t making ice, you should check the ice tray. This will help you figure out if the ice bin or tray is broken. If the ice tray doesn’t seem to be making ice, it’s likely because the ice bin is broken.
Also, look for cracks in the ice tray. If the ice tray has cracks, it may be because it wasn’t put together right. Because of this, a replacement might be needed.
10. Check the Ice Maker Door:
If your ice maker is still not making ice, check the door. If something goes wrong, you will have to call a professional appliance repairman for help.
11. Check the Power Supply:
If the power supply goes out, your GE fridge won’t work. Follow the steps below to test the power supply:
- Turn on the power source.
- Check to see if there is power.
- Check to see if it is making enough power.
- If there isn’t enough power, the ice maker will only be able to keep the compressor going, but it won’t be able to make ice.
- If the power supply works but doesn’t give out enough power, you need to make it give out more power.
Some Dometic refrigerator no power and LG refrigerator no power is caused by user error.
12. Test the Door Switch:
This switch lets you open and closes the door. If it doesn’t work right, it could be because of the door switch.
To fix this problem, the switch needs to be changed.
13. The Freezer is Too Empty:
If your freezer is too empty, your fridge won’t be able to cool or freeze.
You’ll need to put some food in the freezer to fix this problem. Putting things in the freezer is one way to do this. If this doesn’t fix the problem, you’ll need to call a professional who fixes appliances.
14. The Freezer is Too Warm:
This will happen if the air coming out of the vents is warmer than the temperature inside the freezer. This could be because the fan is broken or the air ducts are clogged.
You will need to call a professional appliance repairman to fix this problem.
15. Check for Odors:
If your GE refrigerator smells bad, you should check it to see where the smell is coming from.
To do this, open the refrigerator’s door and look inside for smells you don’t like.
If not, there’s no reason why the fridge shouldn’t be working right. If the smell is strong, there may be something wrong with the fridge that needs to be fixed by a professional.
These are some of the most common reasons your GE fridge might not make ice. So, if you’ve decided to buy a new fridge, here’s a list of brands you should stay away from.
If your GE ice maker isn’t working, you should check the water level, the ice tray, and the power supply. You should also test the door switch and make sure that the freezer is not too empty or too warm. If any strong odors are coming from the refrigerator, you should contact an appliance repairman. I hope this article helped troubleshoot your GE ice maker.